PCOS Facts: Many women suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome. But, the symptoms may be different for different women. One woman might have all the symptoms while the other might have only a few. The symptoms include irregular menstrual cycle, hair loss, male pattern baldness, excess hair on face, acne, weight gain or obesity etc.
Here are some PCOS facts:
- PCOS affects around 6% to 10% of women worldwide.
- 1 in 5 women in India suffers from PCOS.
- Women with PCOS have higher rates of anxiety and depression than women who do not have PCOS.
- Women with PCOS can have their monthly cycles of menstruation and still have PCOS.
- More than half the women suffering from PCOS will have diabetes or pre-diabetes in their middle age.
- Women, who have a history of PCOS in their family, are more likely to have PCOS.
- Despite the name, not all women with PCOS have cysts on their ovaries. There are some exceptions, too.
- Less than 50 per cent of women with PCOS are properly diagnosed. More than 50 per cent remain undiagnosed.
- PCOS is the most common cause of infertility.
- Women with children can have PCOS. Women with PCOS can have children.
- All women with PCOS are not overweight.
- As women with PCOS get older, they are likely to have more regular menstrual cycles.
- Women with PCOS have higher chances of developing obstructive sleep apnea due to the influence of androgens affecting the sleep receptors in the brain.
- The risk of a heart attack is greater in women with PCOS.
- About 70 per cent of women with PCOS have insulin resistance.
- Women with PCOS have a 3 times greater risk of developing endometrial cancer.
- PCOS can occur in girls as young as 11 years old.
- PCOS is not curable, but it is treatable.
- A proper diet designed for PCOS and regular exercise can help you a great deal with your condition.
PCOS Facts| PCOS diet expert| PCOS nutrition center